Wow, have you ever tired Amish Friendship Bread? It is so goooood, and the best part is...you can change the flavor of it.
I had a dear friend bring me a starter about 3 months ago, and have since made 2 loaves every 10 days, and some of the days I cheated and just took a starter from my freezer and made 2 loaves. So in other words...I was able to forgo the fermenting process.
This is what your bag will look like on day 1.
After you add the ingredient's on day 6, the bag will start to bubble and gas will make the bag bloat. (Which is a good thing.)
And finally on day 10, you make the bread.......
(This loaf is Chocolate w/chocolate chips & pecans.)
The white stuff on the sides, is sugar. After looking at this photo I'm thinking brown sugar would have "looked" better. But after all, we are after taste right?
When you are giving this awesome starter, here are the steps you would follow.
Do NOT use a metal spoon or bowl
Do NOT refrigerate
Do NOT let any air out of the bag
It is normal for batter to thicken, bubble and ferment
Day 1 This is the day you receive the batter, do nothing
Day 2 Squeeze the bag
Day 3 Squeeze the bag
Day 4 Squeeze the bag
Day 5 Squeeze the bag
Day 6 Add 1 cup of flour,1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk to the bag and squeeze
Day 7 Squeeze the bag
Day 8 Squeeze the bag
Day 9 Squeeze the bag
Day 10 Combine the batter, I cup of flour, 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of milk in a large bowl using a wooden spoon. Scoop one cup of batter into four one gallon Ziploc bags (one cup each). Keep one starter for yourself and give the rest to friends with the recipe. To the rest of the batter in the bowl, add:
1 cup oil
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
3 eggs
2 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
1 ½ tsp baking powder
2 cups flour
½ cup milk
2 small boxes Instant Vanilla pudding (or any flavor you want.)
Pour into 2 large, well greased and sugar coated loaf pans. Sprinkle some cinnamon sugar on top. Bake 55-60 minutes at 325.
If you do not give away all your starters you may freeze them to use at another time.
I have tried Chocolate Pudding w/chocolate chips or butterscotch chips. Pistachio Pudding w/pecans. The flavors are endless...Just have fun!
You can order the starter HERE. Or try to make your own HERE. I have NOT tired either of these sites. My starter was given to me and is a true Amish Friendship Bread starter.
GOOD LUCK and let me know!!
2 days ago

6 comments:
I did this years ago and you have me itching to do it again. For the chocolate chocolate chip what did you add to it .. cho pudding and chips??
Thanks for the great idea!!
Yes, I added Cho. pudding and chips. It's SO gooood.
Hmmm I forgot about mine and found it two weeks later behind the microwave... so I threw it out.
I got a starter about a year ago, and I agree, the bread is sooo good! I didn't know you could freeze it, though. I finally got sick of it after 2 batches, so I threw it out. I'll have to try one of those starter recipes and try it again.
I am so glad you have enjoyed it, and have been so nice as to share the goods with me and my family. Now if you only had some good pans to cook it in, it would be even better. :)
Heather was the sweetheart that gave me my starter!! But I don't have the heart to tell her that Rob threw out the bag on day 3. He didn't know what it was. Ugh!
Post a Comment