Letter From Elder Folsom (Please Read)

We received an email from Elder Folsom and in it he wrote about one of his recent Spiritual experiences, I told him I would post it to the blog for Family and Friends to enjoy as well......

Cheryl Jagger is her name!
Her 2 daughters chose to be baptized 15 years ago when they were 10 and 11 years old. Cheryl and her husband Josh thought it was great to see how well their daughters were doing and they wanted to have what their daughters had! But for them smoking was very a strong addiction that was holding them back!
Just this last June Cheryl started to take the missionary discussions and wanted to be baptized. 6 missionaries have taught her and invited her every week since then, but it was just too hard to quit!
After our last transfer the Ward decided to make her a "priority" and to focus on helping her work toward becoming baptized. We all knew of her sincere desires. Personally I had my doubts and I was scared and was not sure what I was going to do or say. They all finally realized that it was just not going to happen. But, I decided to do what I can, and put myself out there for her and hopefully God would direct me in some way!
So a ward missionary & I went to go see Cheryl and Josh, while my companion went with another ward member to work with another couple.
I was there and decided that I would do everything I could to get her to stop smoking right then and there (or to strive to...because they had decided to try and quit the next month.) It was very frustrating because we all wanted her to “start” quitting ASAP! Once I realized we weren’t getting very far in the conversation, I just sat quietly while Josh, Cheryl, and the member rambled on talking about whatever for about 10-15 minutes. I decided to step in and quiet them down so that I could say something I felt inspired to say. I asked Cheryl if she had prayed about stopping smoking that particular day, and see if God wants her to stop right now or not! She was very still, and then said, "No". I then asked her (very reverently) to pray tonight with her husband and ask God if He wanted them to quit next month or Right Now! They both agreed and we left.
The next day was General Conference! I told Cheryl that I was going to personally call her after Conference was over to see if she had found her answer. I called, she said that she had, she wanted to quit smoking immediately and be baptized April 18th. Which just so happened to be the same day that other couple which my companion had gone to go see the night we had split-ups with the ward members were getting baptized? I was very happy, and yet very, very unsure if it really was a miracle...
One week later we went to see her, for the first time her house didn’t smell like smoke! And, she was literally glowing! The spirit was strong in their home.
Her husband Josh did not feel the same as Cheryl did, but we have faith that in due time he will. Cheryl got baptized the following week and asked me to baptize her. I told her that Bro. Lewis our ward mission leader deserved to do it more than me! He had faithfully been there for her for 16+ years. In the end it was ok because the other couple who also got baptized asked me and my companion to baptize them! So we had 3 baptisms, including a family. It was a great Saturday!
They are still strong. We still pay them a visit now and again.
I love whoever is reading this!! God is truly guiding this work. I am so blessed to be his humble servant.

I love you ALL!

Elder Folsom

13 comments:

alana said...

Delene .. this so gave me goosebumps. Hayley is struggling right now and I am going to have her read this. She loved Bobby and really looked up to him while we were there so I'm hoping by reading this it will inspire her to do better. Tell Bobby thanks for his example .. it's not only felt on his mission but also all the way in Colorado!

Lupe said...

What a wonderful experience! Delene you must be so proud of Elder Folsom and his willingness and determination to be an instrument for Heavenly Father. Thank you so much for sharing.

Robert Richey said...

What an amazing testimony builder! Such an awesome experience for him...thanks for sharing!

bigskygirl said...

Thank you Delene & Elder Folsom for sharing such a great story. I love the pictures too. He truly looks like he's in his element!

Anonymous said...

Delene thanks for sharing!
What a wonderful & spiritual experience for Bobby to be apart of! I truly know & believe that as missionaries he is guided by the spirit & our heavenly father at those particular moments.
You must & should be so proud of him!

Angela

Dahle Family said...

What a great reminder of the power of prayer. Elder Folsom is such an example of being a humble tool in the Lords hands to bring miracles about. Just to be intune enough to act and say what needed to be said at the right time. Thank you for sharing. You all are awesome.

Rosie said...

What an amazing example Elder Folsom is to me! This story brought tears to my eyes and I am so grateful he shared this story. He is such s great young man and David and I are so proud of him. Pease send him our thoughts and let him know that we love him!

Anonymous said...

WOW! Thank you so much for sharing this powerful story of faith and conversion! Elder Folsom is changing lives and he is changed himself! The photos are wonderful too, he looks fabulous all in white! We love him, we love and miss all of you and we pray for Elder Folsom every day!
Love from the Nielsen fam

Kevin Kim Cade Ellie said...

I love missionaries! There is nothing better then hearing stories from missionaries. It sounds like he is doing great and loving it. Thanks for sharing.

Dad said...

Dear Leeny,
Ive been reading your blogs but barely found out how to comment...dont say it..I know im getting old...Im so proud of Bobby and how he is serving...
Thanks for your great blog...See ya soon
Love Ya
Dad

JAY said...

Hey there.....Love hearing about Bobby.....That is great...I'm sure it feels so good to hear what he is doing..Tell him Hi...Also glad to see your Dad figure out how to leave a message...Love Ya Jay

Lois said...

Awe, don't you just love missionaries? Thanks for sharing.

Roya said...

What a wonderful story. There is a lady here the sisters are teaching, and smoking is the thing that is really holding her back - this story gave me hope that miracles do happen when the desire is so great. Thank you for sharing that!